Dream BarsPosted: May 4, 2023 Filed under: Cakes, Desserts, Traditional | Tags: bars, Budget, easy, nuts, quick, simple, vegetarian 4 Comments
Today I have for you an American classic bake – Dream Bars. Bonus: the recipe I found is exactly 89 years old today!
Created in the harsh years of the Depression, Dream Bars are still around today, both in their original form and as a whole host of other bar recipes with additional ingredients.
You may be forgiven for thinking these look a little ordinary, but I can assure you their flavour is outstanding – one of my husband’s colleagues even described them as the best thing they’d ever eaten!
The method, too, is also very straightforward: whizz together butter, flour and sugar for a shortbread base, whisk the wet ingredients together, stir in the nuts, pour over the base and bake. Total time required: about an hour!
Short and sweet, just like this post!
115g unsalted butter
100g soft dark brown/muscovado sugar
115g plain flour
- Heat oven to 175°C/155°C Fan
- Line a 20cm/8-inch square pan with baking parchment.
- Mix butter, sugar and flour in a food processor to breadcrumb consistency.
- Pat evenly into prepared pan. Use the smooth base of a glass to press firmly.
- Bake for 10 minutes and set aside to cool.
2 large eggs
200g soft dark brown/muscovado sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
2 tbs plain flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
90g dessicated/shred coconut
120g chopped nuts (walnuts/pecans)
- Whisk eggs and sugar together till frothy.
- Add vanilla, flour, salt and baking powder and mix in.
- Stir in the coconut and nuts and pour over the cooled crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until risen and set.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then cut into squares.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin.